The man accused of fatally shooting Migos rapper Takeoff outside a Texas bowling alley last year has been charged with murder, court records show.
On Thursday (May 25), a grand jury in Houston indicted Patrick Xavier Clark. He was remanded in custody after being released on $1m (£800,000) bond.
Leticia Quinones-Hollins, one of Clark’s attorneys, said the charges were not unexpected.
“When we go into court and we’re in front of a jury, where we can present our evidence and cross-examine the state’s witnesses … we expect the jury to come back with a verdict of not guilty.” – Hollins in a statement.
On Nov. 1, around 2:30 a.m., more than 30 people were leaving a private party at the bowling alley when he was shot in the head and back.
Houston police said the shooting stemmed from a dispute over a “promotional” dice game outside a bowling alley, but the 28-year-old rapper was not involved and was an “innocent bystander.”
Clark, 33, who worked as a DJ and nightclub promoter, was arrested on December 1.
Authorities said surveillance video showed Clark holding a wine bottle in one hand as he fired the gun. Fingerprints found on the bottle were later used to identify him. FBI sources also identified Clark as being involved in the attack, police said.
Prosecutors allege Clark tried to leave the country before his arrest, claiming he was looking online for fake airline tickets to get an expedited passport.
Quinones-Hollins denied that Clark was trying to leave the country after the shooting. The next court hearing is scheduled for August 23.
Kirsnick was born Khari Ball, the youngest member of Takeoff Migos, the Grammy-nominated rap trio from suburban Atlanta that also features his uncle Quavo and cousin Offset.
In a recent interview, Offset spoke about the grief takeoff: “I spend my days thinking it’s fake.
He added: “It’s hard for me to talk about s***.
Additional reporting from The Associated Press.