Even though R. Kelly is in federal prison, he still has a lot to say.
Last week, it seemed to come out of nowhere. I received it, the disgraced singer’s album appeared on the streaming service for people to check out. Many, including myself, were wondering how in the hell a criminal could drop an album while in prison.
Although the album was eventually removed from distribution services, I had many questions about how an album like this could ever see the light of day.
Turns out, R. Kelly was thinking the same thing.
On Tuesday, the disgraced singer shared a statement to the public. Chicago Sun-Times Read the following via email service for federal prisoners
LEAVE MY MUSIC!!! They already put me in here.
They took away my vote.
They ruined my whole career.
They took all my money.
They took my children from me.
They took me away from my family, friends and all my fans.
I have had all my emails and phone calls hacked and shared with government witnesses and god knows who else.
While I was here I contracted tuberculosis.
I got covid twice while I was here.
I was diagnosed with diabetes while I was here.
I had two surgeries while I was here.
I was attacked while I was sleeping, and I had cracked ribs and a broken jaw while I was here.
I was diagnosed with PTSD while I was here.
I wish they would leave my music alone, because all I have left, all I have left are my fans.
And no matter what people try and say about me, what they think about me and even do to me, they have to be able to listen to the music.
So please again
LEAVE MY MUSIC!!!
About a day after Kelly sent this message, people in the group called the police to say that hundreds of original copies had been stolen, which may have been behind the release. I received it.
according to TMZThey went missing after being stolen from a warehouse in Illinois in February, according to a police report. Keith Calbert, the manager of the warehouse where the tapes were stored, called the police to report them stolen and said they were worth millions of dollars.
More from TMZ:
Interestingly enough … police say Calbert told 2 Ways that he took the masters out of the warehouse 9 months ago and took them to California. Police say Calbert advised one of the guys to return the footage…but was told he would have to pay $160,000 to get it back.
Police said Calbert showed them 10 empty shelves they said were completely full and estimated 300 to 500 missing recordings.
I wonder, if the footage was stolen in February, why wait 10 months to report it?
Anyway, it’s still unclear who exactly uploaded the music to Spotify and Apple Music. But the two streets that moved the masters to California are considered high on the list of people to contact the police. TMZ.
Sony Music said it had no involvement in the release of the album. Shortly after it was pulled from streaming services, it was revealed that the album was a bootleg version and was released under Sony Music’s catalog division, Legacy Recordings. A Sony Music source denied that claim.
More under the
Sign up for The Root’s Newsletter. For latest news, Facebook, Twitter And Instagram.
Click here to read the full article.