CNN

A Kenyan security guard who collapsed while on duty at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials have confirmed to CNN.

His sister, Ann Wanjiru, said his employer informed the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Nju Kibuye had fallen from the 8th floor of the stadium while at work.

“We don’t have the money to get justice for him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.

He was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) at Doha’s Hamad General Hospital, according to medical records obtained by CNN. The document states that Njue had “severe head injuries, facial fractures and pelvic fractures.”

In a statement, World Cup organizers – the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy – announced Kibu’s death.

The statement added: “Despite the best efforts of the medical team, we are saddened to announce that he tragically passed away on Tuesday, December 13, after a stay in the hospital’s intensive care unit.

“His next of kin have been informed. Our condolences to his family, colleagues and friends during this difficult time.

Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kibu had suffered a serious setback while on duty.

“The organizers of the Qatar tournament are urgently investigating the circumstances leading to the crash and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation,” it said in a statement.

“We will also ensure that the family receives all outstanding payments and debts.”

He had been unconscious since Saturday and connected to a machine to help him breathe, medical records show. A family member was notified Monday morning that he had died.

But the security guard’s family said his Qatari employer Al Sariya’s security services had failed and offered no explanation for his death.

We want justice. We want to know the cause of his death. “They never sent us a picture to show where he fell or gave us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.

CNN contacted Al Sraiya security services for comment following the guard’s death, but has yet to receive a response.

In a statement sent to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and “is providing the necessary consular assistance while awaiting official communication from the Supreme Committee of Qatar and competent authorities.”

He said the guard’s family was transferred to Qatar last November under a contract with Alsraya Security Services.

A WhatsApp message, seen by CNN, was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking them to contribute.

“He came here to help his family back home but unfortunately his dream ended today,” it read in part. “Let’s do something for our dear friend.”

The tournament is the second migrant worker to die since the tournament began in the Gulf country, while another was reported to have died in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia at the team level.

.

ودجت أحدث المقالات للصفحة الرئيسية تظهر على الصفحة الرئيسية فقط

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *